Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How to get banned from a liquor store

There is a liquor store half a block from where I work. I used to go there quite often, sometimes for beer and sometimes for energy drinks, depending on what time of day it was. There were times when I bought something, and there were times when I didn't. On one particular day I spent over $100 on beer, purchasing bottles for myself and several friends. On another day I found nothing of interest, so I started to leave the shop empty handed. As I got to the door, the young man who usually helped me asked, "Why do you always come in here, look around, and leave without buying anything?" I was taken aback, as this was the same young man I had made purchases from many times before. "I didn't see anything I wanted today." I replied. "Don't bother coming back, then." he said, without even looking up from his cell phone. He had a smile on his face, and even seemed to be giggling as he said it. I was really in shock at this point. All I could do was walk out the door. I stopped, thinking about the smile on his face, and thought he may have been giving me a hard time. I turned around, went back into the store, and asked "Are you serious, or just messing around with me?" "No," he replied, "I'm serious. Don't come back." "Okay." I said, and walked away. I was furious. So furious, in fact, that mentioning all of the past purchases I had made, or the history we had didn't even enter my mind. I did, however, tell everyone I knew about the incident, hoping to somehow negatively impact his business. He obviously didn't care about customer retention, although the store was usually pretty empty. To this day I haven't set foot back inside those doors. I have since found bigger and better liquor stores, but I will never forget the one I was actually banned from!

No comments:

Post a Comment