Friday, January 20, 2012

Where, in Colorado, I was!



Where was I this time?  The Mayor of Old Town in Fort Collins, Colorado.  Whenever I hear of a place with 100 or more taps, it goes on my short list of places to visit.  I was very impressed with The Mayor of Old Town, and apparently so was DRAFT Magazine, as it was on their list of America's 100 best beer bars: 2012.

"Fort Collins is famous for its homegrown crafts; now, The Mayor of Old Town ups the "beercentricity" with 100 globe-spanning taps, about 30 of which favor northern Colorado's best.  The selection rotates pretty rapidly, but fear not: Every time a new brew's put on tap, the list automatically updates (presto!) on three enormous HD projection screens above the bar, and on the bar's Twitter feed and Facebook page."

The atmosphere is casual, with Farkle score pads and the bar's own branded dice (one of which may have hitched a ride home with me) at each table.  I particularly liked the staff's knowledge of the beers, considering how extensive the selection was.  You can order a flight based on style, which was another thing I really liked.  I got a taster set of IIPA's, and wasn't disappointed by any of them.  Fort Collins is one of the most beercentric cities in the country and has many beer bars to choose from, but for a truly great beer in a laid back setting, be sure to check out The Mayor of Old Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment