Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It finally happened

I paid $10 for a pint!  Actually, it wasn't a pint, it was an 8 ounce pour of St. Bernardus Abt 12 in a matching chalice.  The beer was awesome, taking me back to a time when all beer was new and each sip an adventure.  I am still on that adventure, but a bit more seasoned now, and perhaps a bit cynical.  I digress.  My rant has turned in to a walk down memory lane, which is not the direction I am traveling in at the moment.  As I was saying, the beer was awesome.  The price was less awesome.  You may recall my rant here, where I mentioned that a pint of beer in San Diego was nearing the $10 mark.  Imagine my surprise when I got my bill at Slater's 50/50 and saw $10 next to the St. Bernardus entry!  Mind you, this beer retails for around $5 for an 11 ounce bottle, and I had just paid $10 for an 8 ounce pour!  Did I mention that I paid $10?  I know there will be a mark-up when a beer is served in a restaurant or bar, especially when it is on tap, but that's quite a mark-up.  I paid $7 a while back at Hamiltons for a decent pour of The Bruery's Coton, a much more expensive beer.  How did Abt 12 ring up at $10?  How did I miss this hefty price tag when I ordered?  Perhaps the prices aren't listed on Slater's extensive beer menu.  I would like to say that they are not and then proceed to complain about it, but I honestly didn't look at the menu with an eye to price, just palate.  Was I so blinded by the killer selection that I completely missed the high dollar figure next to each beer on the list?  That debate won't be concluded until my next visit to Slater's.  I will let you know what I find.  Slater's 50/50 is awesome.  The manager personally visited our table a couple of times, and even gave us a coupon for a free dessert on out next visit.  Their food is superb.  Their beer list, 111 strong, speaks for itself.  However, the beer prices deserve a second look.  Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I feel much better.  I've also made myself hungry and thirsty!

2 comments:

  1. I remembered this post when I went to 3rd Corner for lunch today. St Bernard 12 is one of 4 beers on tap. I asked the bartender in what type glass it's served. It's served in a Chimay 25cc(?) chalice, which is about 11 oz. 3rd Corner sells this for $7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! There are so many options in San Diego for a good glass of beer, and so little time to try even a small fraction of them. A good recommendation is worth so much!

    ReplyDelete