Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Brewery Project: Fallbrook Brewing Co.

 
About an hour north of downtown San Diego, just to the east of Camp Pendleton and 5 miles west of I-15, sits the quaint town of Fallbrook, California.  If you take a walk down picturesque Main Avenue on a warm Saturday afternoon, chances are your senses will be assailed by the heavenly aroma of beer being brewed.  If you follow your nose, which I highly recommend you do, you will find yourself at Fallbrook Brewing Co.  Once inside you will find ample seating with plenty of regular and bar-height tables, locally made artwork hanging on the walls, and, most importantly, great beer!  I shared a custom flight of 5 beers with my father-in-law, Milton, and wasn't disappointed by any of them.  Our tasting included 3 IPA's (imagine that) which were Sleeping Indian, an English style IPA, Ammunition, a West Coast style IPA, and Cran-Pa, a cranberry IPA.  With my affinity for hops I was surprised by the fact that my favorite of the group was Sleeping Indian, the least hoppy of the trio.  Malty and complex, I really liked this brew.  Rounding out the flight was "Merica", a Strong Ale that was decent, and a Vanilla Stout served on nitro that was remarkable.  Lacking the bitter coffee bite that I was expecting, I was greeted by a hit of menthol that was actually quite refreshing, followed by a smooth finish.  I would definitely order this beer again.  My first visit to Fallbrook certainly won't be my last, and that goes the same for its namesake brewery.  It's a bit of a trip, but well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment