Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Brewery Project: Breakwater Brewing Co.


When I'm in the coastal North County area and it's time to eat, there's no mystery where I'll end up.  Pizza Port Carlsbad is, and most likely always will be, my go-to spot for pizza and great craft beer.  That being said, I had to venture out of my comfort zone to check out Oceanside's Breakwater Brewing Co.  I don't like to compare one brewery restaurant to another, but I feel the fact that owner Shannon Sager used to be the district manager for Pizza Port gives me some license to do so.  Both places are in North County, are extremely laid back, and feature gourmet pizza & house-brewed craft beer.  As similar as they are, what's missing here is the indescribable vibe of Pizza Port.  Pizza Port, in my opinion, excels in all areas.  The food is great, the beer incredible, and the vibe is always welcoming, energetic, and alive.  I wasn't disappointed with this new spot, it was fine.  Just fine.  The pizza was good, but not better than any other pizza I've had.  The beer was good, but not memorable.  I had the Maverick's Double IPA and Tripel A Downgrade, a Belgian Tripel.  The atmosphere was more like a bar than a restaurant, though there were a few families there.  At the end of the day it was a good experience, but not a great one.  Perhaps I've just been spoiled by Pizza Port, I don't know.  Will I go back?  I guess that depends on whether or not Pizza Port is open at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment