Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Brewery Project: Rock Bottom La Jolla


Being a nationwide chain, I've never really looked at Rock Bottom as being much of a force in the local craft beer scene.  With a couple of locations around town, I decided to visit my favorite one in La Jolla.  I have always found their food and beer solid, but not outstanding.  I went in with a different eye this time, putting my main focus on the quality of the beer.  Right away I noticed several prestigious awards on the wall, and learned that San Diego Brewers Guild president Marty Mendiola was at the helm of the brewing operations.  This was a good start!  I ordered the sampler, which included all of their core beers, a rotating "Dark" beer, and a "Brewmaster's Choice", for which I picked their Rocktoberfest.  Once again I found them all solid, and the Rocktoberfest was quite good, but I wasn't blown away by any of them.  I also ordered another seasonal called Legally Red, which was good, but filling.  I was impressed to see it served in an imperial pint glass, something you don't see too often, especially in a chain restaurant.  I left feeling about the same as I do every visit, satisfied but not awed.  I've had bigger beers from this large franchise which were excellent, but these were absent this visit.  I enjoyed the visit and will be back, but still can't see them as a formidable contender in the world of San Diego craft beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment