Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Brewery Project: Gordon Biersch


When you think of craft beer in San Diego you probably don't think of Gordon Biersch Brewing Co.  I know I didn't.  Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed my visits to this nationwide chain restaurant, but always looked at them as just that, a nationwide chain restaurant.  Sure, they have flashy brewing equipment in the front windows, but I assumed that was merely for show, and that the brewing for all of their locations was done at their San Jose, California facility.  Well, it turned out I was wrong.  Each of the German-style beers they serve are brewed right on premises.  That being the case, they ranked a spot on my list of local breweries to visit.  Although I was already familiar with all of their beers, I decided to order a taster set to compare each beer, side by side.  I must say, I was quite impressed with the lineup.  Styles I don't normally care for such as their light Golden Export and crisp Czech Pilsner I found to be really good, and stood up just fine next to old favorites such as the rich Blonde Bock and malty Märzen.  A great beer experience paired with equally great food and service made for a nice evening and a newfound respect for this "nationwide chain restaurant".  There's great beer to be found all around us.  Don't let ignorance or a preconceived notion rob you of finding your next favorite beer.  Get out there and enjoy all our fine county has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment