Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Victory Old Horizontal

As I type this I am sipping a very nice barleywine. As part of my blog I will be doing weekly (at least) reviews of different beers. I am currently enjoying a beer from Downingtown Pennsylvania's Victory Brewing Co. called Old Horizontal. This is a winter seasonal that they offer which weighs in at 11% alcohol, and is a very good representation of a traditional barleywine style ale, which is typically sweet with a hint of bitterness. It pours with a nice 2 to 3 finger head, more than I expected, actually, with a nice aroma right off the bat. The color is a beautiful, rich, coppery caramel. It has a full-bodied mouthfeel which coats the mouth just slightly with each sip. The finish is smoother than I expected, with a warmth reminiscent of a nice scotch or brandy, without the burn. At the end you are left with an ever so faint bitterness which diminishes quickly. All-in-all this is a solid ale which rates 4 out of 5 stars for me. Give this one a try and let me know what you think! Do you have a beer that you love and would like me to review? Maybe there is a new one on the market that you aren't sure about and would like a review first. Just let me know, and I'll be happy to review your favorite, or try a new one for us all. Take care, I'm going to finish my beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment