Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Brewery Project: Plan 9 Alehouse

 
Being a family man and a beer lover, I'm always looking for a place where I can spend quality time with my family while enjoying great craft beer as well.  I found that and more at Plan 9 Alehouse.  A family friendly atmosphere, great beer, and awesome food all come together to create a fantastic experience.  With an impressive tap list of world-class beers, including local favorites from AleSmith, Ballast Point, Green Flash, Hess, Modern Times, Saint Archer, and Stone, along with regional offerings from the likes of Dogfish Head, Firestone Walker, Great Divide, Maui, Ninkasi, Ommegang, and Oskar Blues, there is something for every taste.  Not to be sidetracked by the extensive lineup of guest beers, I ordered tasters of each of their beers that were currently available.  El Gourdo, a 7% alcohol pumpkin IPA, was very good.  The pumpkin and related spices came through without overtaking the brew.  I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but this one was good.  Government Rye-Down, brewed during the government shutdown, definitely made rye the star and was quite good.  Velvet Nothing, their Oatmeal Stout, was a pretty straightforward incarnation of the style.  Turd Ferguson, an unfiltered Brown Ale, was my favorite of the group.  Chewy and delicious, I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.  I would be remiss if I didn't make mention of how good the food was as well.  Pictured below is their BLT, which features pork belly, IPA mustard, spring greens, vine ripened tomato, bleu cheese, and bacon bread, along with their Shrimp and Grits, which features black tiger shrimp and cheddar grits stuffed into a poblano pepper.  Both dishes were incredible, but the BLT was probably the best I've ever had!  Even if you don't like beer, you need to go check out the food.  I recommend the food and the beer, and can't wait for my next visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment