Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Brewery Project: Rip Current

 
North County's burgeoning craft beer scene has given birth to several great breweries over the last year or so, Rip Current Brewing being one of them.  Casual and comfortable, the tasting room features a nice sized bar, several barrel "tables" with bar-height chairs, a wall lined with vintage beer cans (my favorite feature), and has a nice view of the brewing area.  An extensive tap list with styles ranging from Hefeweizens to Porters instantly had my mouth watering, but I decided to just try an IPA and a IIPA.  I know, what a shock.  The Lupulin Lust IPA, which weighed in at 8.3% alcohol, was quite good.  Very smooth for an IPA, it drank more like a IIPA.  In The Curl IIPA, at 10.3% alcohol, was also very good, and had a very distinct twang from one of the hop varieties used in the brew.  It took me off guard at first, but a few sips in and I was acclimatized to the unique flavor profile of this beer and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the glass.  If these beers are indicative of their other offerings, and I believe they are, then several return visits will be necessary to fully explore the rest of their menu.  Changes to their tap list with each visit could complicate that plan, but I'm willing to put in the time and effort needed to get to know this brewery, and the great beer they produce, better!

No comments:

Post a Comment