Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Brewery Project: Ballast Point Little Italy

 
I was excited to visit the new Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits Little Italy location, officially known as their "Tasting Room and Kitchen", and certainly wasn't disappointed!  Open less than a week, the spot was hopping on a late Sunday afternoon.  Featuring more than just their stellar beer lineup, a wide range of food options are available to enjoy with your brew, and they even offer a kids menu.  While I didn't order any food this time, I did get to try a couple of beers I had never had before.  Their Homework Series #2, a Belgian Double IPA, was just as advertised.  The Belgian yeast complimented the big beer without overpowering it, giving a nice counterpoint to the massive, yet balanced, hop/malt profile of the beer. Ingrid's 1 in 8 (2012), categorized as an American Strong Ale, defied description.  "Unique" is the word that came to mind as I sipped it.  It was very good, but there was a flavor I couldn't put my finger on.  I suppose a bit of research could reveal the mystery ingredient, but I'd rather just order it again and see if I can figure it out myself.  That will require a return trip before the beer is gone, which isn't a bad idea since I didn't get to try the food yet.  I have a feeling I will be seeing a lot more of Little Italy now!

No comments:

Post a Comment