Monday, March 26, 2012

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale

What can I say about this beer?  Going into too much detail about its taste would be futile, as this is more than just a beer, it's a true sensory experience.  It poured a beautiful, hazy, coppery amber, with a light head that dissipated too quickly for me to capture in the photo.  The bacon was hugely present in the aroma, although there was much more smoke in the nose than I was expecting.  Another thing that I was expecting, especially with the maple addition, was sweetness.  This is the second brew I have had recently where sweetness was absent when I had expected it to be predominant.  As with that beer, this one really needed it.  I immediately thought of bacon pancakes, minus any syrup.  It was bready, bacony, and smokey, but that was all.  Although the maple was present slightly in the nose, more so in the taste, the lack of its sweet notes made the beer rich, but difficult to swallow.  I initially gave this beer 3.5 stars out of 5, mostly for its uniqueness.  I didn't even make it halfway through the pictured glass, and had to pour the rest back into the bottle.  Its heavy smoke aroma and flavor started to overpower the complexity of the beer, and even the food I was eating with it.  Perhaps a pour this size was just too much for this beer, I don't know.  I went back to it the following day, and had an extremely hard time finishing it.  At $14.99 for the bottle, I felt the need to finish it off.  The bottle, however, was the best part of this one-of-a-kind concoction.  When discussing whether or not I would buy this beer again, I actually said that I would prefer a Coors Light.  With that, I conclude my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment