Friday, March 9, 2012

Karl Strauss Heavy Petti

I originally had this IIPA from Karl Strauss Brewing Co. at their downtown location when it was released for last year's San Diego Beer Week.  I was "fortunate" enough to get the last pint before the keg blew.  This was a fact that made me very happy, since I was anxious to try a new offering, from one of my favorite breweries, in one of my favorite styles.  I was, sadly, disappointed.  There was a funk to the beer that was hard to get past.  In talking to a friend from the brewery, he told me the flavor came from the particular strain of yeast used in the beer.  He seemed very excited about the flavor, so I didn't fully express my distaste for it.  To be honest, I didn't give this beer another thought since it struck me so poorly.  I found myself at K&B Wine Cellar yesterday, where they had this very beer on special for $3.50.  $3.50 being my sweet spot for a happy hour pint, I decided to give the brew another chance.  Am I glad I did!  In a word, this beer was delicious, delectable, and delightful!  I guess that's three words, but this beer deserves each one.  It was cloudy, smooth, and had a floral taste and aroma that I couldn't put my finger on.  Perhaps this lovely, unidentifiable character was from this yeast I had such disdain for the first time around.  Maybe the fact that I had the last of the original keg played into the off flavor.  Perhaps time has mellowed the beer.  Whatever the case, I simply loved it.  I can't imagine I will find it again anytime soon, unless they decide to brew some more, but if I do I will be sure to grab another glass.  I recommend you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment