Monday, March 12, 2012

Karl Strauss Tower 20

Karl Strauss Brewing Co. has started an "Imperial Collection", which at this point consists of Off The Rails, their Imperial Red Ale, and now Tower 20 IIPA, a kicked up version of their mainstay Tower 10 IPA.  At 9.5% alcohol, it packs the kick you would expect from this style.  I liked this beer, but to me it read more as an aggressive West Coast IPA than a IIPA.  Initially, it had the crispness that I always associate with an IPA, but as it warmed a bit the smoothness of a IIPA came to the fore.  The hops were dominant, as one would expect, weighing in a bit more heavily on the grapefruit end of the spectrum.  It was initially a bit acidic, which I either got used to or it lessened as the brew warmed.  Giving it 3.5 out of 5 stars this won't go on my list of go-to beers when I'm having a IIPA craving, but I certainly wouldn't shy away from it as an option, and I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment