Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Costco Beer

Now I've seen everything.  Costco has their own private label beer under the "Kirkland Signature" name.  I was blown away at the thought of a big box store offering their own beer.  Apparently they contract with Gordon Biersch Brewing Co. for West Coast distribution and Saranac - Matt Brewing Co. for the East Coast.  I have only tried the IPA, which I found to be quite malty for the style, but not too bad.  I will reserve judgement until I have tried the whole line, but still can't hold back a chuckle every time I see one of these beers.  I harken back to memories of that classic black & white "BEER" can of yesteryear.  Do they still make those?  Maybe so, but with a different label.  Perhaps one that reads, "Kirkland Signature".

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried the Kirkland beers. I wonder who brews them.

    I look past the house beers and instead look for beer deals at Costco. The Morena Blvd. Costco gets great beer deals, Saison Dupont and Foret for like $7 per bottle, blue label Chimay for $9.99, and Speedway Stout for $8.99 to name a few.

    If you want an excellent grocery house beer, pick up a Trader Joe's annual Vintage Ale. It's a big Belgian style ale brewed by Unibroue(?) and sells for $4.99.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rereading my post I can see the confusion. Gordon Biersch brews for the West Coast and Saranac - Matt for the East Coast. Sorry about that.

    I tried the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale a few years back and enjoyed it. It's a great beer for the price.

    ReplyDelete