Monday, November 29, 2010

Calculate the Cost

I dropped by a local brewery the other day and got a growler fill of one of my favorite beers. The $14 fill turned into just over $17 after tax and tip. I was happy with my purchase, and had enjoyed a frothy glass when I started to think about the six-pack of the same beer I had bought a couple weeks earlier. The $14.99 I had spent on the bottled version of the beer seemed pricey at the the time, but now I did the math comparing the two purchases. Not only was the six-pack a bit cheaper, but at 12 ounces per bottle the overall total came to 72 ounces compared to the 64 ounce growler. True, the growler was brewery fresh, but the six-pack was freshly bottled as well. Was it really worth the extra expense & fewer ounces, not to mention the trip to the brewery? Not for me. I would choose differently next time, either picking a different beer not available at my local bottle shop, or opting for the more economical six-pack instead. Am I pinching pennies? Absolutely! I love good craft beer, but I also like the best bang for my buck. The lesson? Calculate the cost of your next purchase. Remember, spending more wisely on beer means more to spend on beer, wisely!

No comments:

Post a Comment