Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Brewery Project: AleSmith

I have been a fan of AleSmith Brewing Co. since attending this tasting event, hosted by owner Peter Zien, back in 2010.  I already liked the beer, but the passion that Peter showed for his craft completed the package for me.  This isn't a "business" or "work" to him, it is his art.  Liquid art.  In fact, the brewery itself could be called a "Liquid Art Museum".  Hmmm... I may be on to something there.  I should coin that phrase!  But, I digress.  The recently renovated tasting room looks very clean and polished.  Large brewery prints adorn one wall, while beer-filled barrels line an adjacent one, creating an artistic beer-drinking backdrop and conversation piece.  Used barrels sprinkled throughout the space serve as tables, and a large L-shaped bar provides plenty of spots to enjoy current offerings.  The bartenders were friendly, if not a little cold, lacking the warmth and enthusiasm of smaller, newer breweries in the area.  I hope that growth and prestige don't lead to a path where the beer becomes more important than the people who drink it.  I think that is the turning point that changes the product from a "craft" to a "commodity".  The danger is present whenever a brewery grows in size and popularity, but the choice to stay true to the craft always lies with the brewery itself.  With Peter in charge, I don't believe that will be a problem.  The beer, as always, was spectacular.  The highlight of this visit was a private tour of the brewery.  Ryan, an assistant brewer, showed off  the brewery as if it were his newborn son.  He has only been there since September, but I was in awe of his knowledge of the brewing process and the equipment itself.  The small space is so tightly packed with brewing equipment, I wonder how long it will be until a larger space is required.  A huge thanks to Ryan for taking the time to share his passion.  With people like Ryan on board I have no worries about the future of this growing company, know that the craft of beer will always remain the top priority, and look forward to the exciting road ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment