Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What ever happened to Firehouse Brewing?

The Firehouse Brewing Co. is no more. I hadn't seen them in stores or represented at any beer events lately, and now I know why. In March the company filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, and all of their assets were sold at auction last week. All of the lots sold for a total of around $400,000 including the Firehouse brand itself, which sold for a mere $1,500. The brand is not expected to be resurrected, but anything is possible. Although I don't know what factors played into the closing of the brewery, whose opening was inspired by the tragic events of 9/11, my best guess is that a lack of marketing as well as a very limited product line must have played a major roll in the demise of the promising young company that was founded by local firefighters. My sources tell me there had been unrest among investors for the last year or so, possibly regarding these very issues. Whatever the case, it is always sad to see a brewery fold. I got a bit melancholy a couple of days ago when I saw some of their beer on the shelf at Albertsons. They must have had some old stock laying around that they needed to get rid of. A sad end to what could have been a great story. Farewell, Firehouse. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment