Thursday, April 29, 2010

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!!!

Everyone likes to win something, and this time it's my turn! And what better topic for my 100th post than a story of hard work, determination, perfect timing, and a good friend.

We are a little over a week away from Beach to Brewery Beer + Music Fest, which you can read about here in my post from last month. Karl Strauss has been giving tickets away the last couple of weeks by various means. This week they hid a pair of tickets somewhere in the county, then gave clues as to the whereabouts of the tickets. It was the second clue given that allowed me to figure out the location. The first clue was that the tickets were taped to a San Diego icon that had ties to Karl Strauss. I didn't get much from that one. The second clue stated that the vessel called the New Seaforth was seen passing by the location. That didn't help much either, but I did learn a lot about the boat! The clue also stated the tickets were not on any of the lifeguard towers, as that would have been too obvious. That was what led me down the path to victory. I immediately thought about Tower 10 IPA, which sports a lifeguard tower on the bottle. I wondered if the real clue could be found on a bottle of their beer. I immediately thought of Red Trolley Ale, but couldn't find a trolley location that was close enough to the beach to spot the fishing boat. Next I thought of Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen, which had a picture of the "iconic" beachside shack on it. I KNEW this was the spot I was looking for. I was set to go to the beach the next day on my lunch hour, but rain caused the tickets to be temporarily removed from their hiding place until the weather cleared up. I still took the trip after work just to look around, and in hopes that the tickets had been returned already. That wasn't the case. A Facebook post revealed that the tickets would be put back the following afternoon. Unfortunately, I was not going to be able to go when the tickets would be put back, so I figured I was out of the running for the prize. I did, however, ask several friends if they would be in the area around that time, but nobody was going to be able to go. Again, I sadly gave up hope of securing my "golden" tickets. Two things happened next, both out of my control and completely unbeknownst to me. First, the tickets were returned earlier in the day than they were supposed to be. Second, one of my friends happened to be in the area around the same time, so he stopped in to check on the status of the tickets. They must have been returned just minutes before he arrived! Like I said, hard work, determination, perfect timing, and a good friend!

Thank you, Karl Strauss, for the tickets! And thank you for supporting the Surfrider Foundation with this great annual event. You know I'll be there, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment