Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Brewery Project: Offbeat

 
Deep in the heart of yet another set of unmarked industrial complexes, just down the hill from a little-known brewery called Stone something or other, sits the unassuming and unmarked Offbeat Brewing Co.  Getting to the brewery was the easy part.  Retracing my steps when I left was another story.  But I digress, as my navigational skills are not the current topic of discussion.  Just under a year old, this is a solid little brewery.  A nice facility, tasty beers, knowledgeable staff, and well-designed website all come together to portray a company far more mature than its actual age.  Andy, the bartender, was happy to discuss the 4 core beers I was tasting, explaining that their beers, which are more malt driven, tend to be a little sweeter and less aggressive than other beers in the competing market.  I appreciated this fact, as the only way to stand out in such a beercentric area is to differentiate yourself in some way.  Another thing I appreciated about the beers is that, although still young, they all had proper names.  While it isn't a deal breaker for me, I take issue when a brewery simply offers an "IPA", or a "Red Ale", or a "Stout" without taking the time to name their "children".  That being said, of the beers I tried, including Girafficopter Session Pale Ale (you know how I feel about the term "Session", but I'll let that go for now), Bear Arms Brown Ale, Bitter Robot Red Ale, and Caticorn IPA, I was really drawn to the Brown Ale.  With only a couple of exceptions, this being one, I normally don't care for this style.  When I really enjoy a beer in a style that I typically don't, this makes me take notice of a brewery.  This is a brewery I've taken notice of, and will be giving further attention from now on.  If you're not already a fan of this fledgling brewery, I encourage you to check them out.  You can currently only sample their beer at the brewery itself, so grab your GPS and navigate your way to some great beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment