Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Brewery Project: Mother Earth

 
Psychedelic.  That's the word that came to mind as I walked into Mother Earth Brew Co.  Decorated with everything from Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin posters to a map of the United States that takes up the better part of a wall in the tasting area, you feel like you've walked into your homebrewer friend's garage circa 1970.  With several areas to sit, relax, and enjoy your brews, you just might forget where, or when, you are as you sip on the solid offerings from this North County brewery.  Although their beer can be found on tap and in bottles throughout the county, this was my first foray into their sudsy creations.  Deciding to stick to my comfort zone, I opted for a couple of their IPA's.  Delving right into their Hop Diggity DIPA, my thirst for something hoppy was instantly quenched.  Smooth and full bodied, this filling beer was a great representation of its style, and one that I wouldn't hesitate to order again.  I then tried One To Grow On, an IPA they brewed for the 3rd anniversary of URGE American Gastropub, a spot that I have yet to get to, but have been wanting to visit for quite some time.  This was a very drinkable IPA.  I probably should have had this before the DIPA for a more logical sensory experience, ramping up the ascension of hop and malt profile, alcohol content and IBU, color and body.  A liquid crescendo, if you will.  That, and I was already pretty full from the DIPA!  Needless to say, the beer was great.  My only complaint is the $8 minimum they impose when you wish to use a credit card.  Having a minimum purchase amount for credit card transactions is a huge pet peeve of mine.  I believe that if you are going to accept credit cards, which should always be the case, there should never be a minimum amount you need to spend.  I understand that there may be fees associated with credit card processing of smaller amounts, but those fees should be the responsibility of the establishment, not the patron.  An $8 minimum also makes it virtually impossible to have just one beer, necessitating a second one in order to breach the $8 mark required to use your credit card.  That being said, a small detail like this can be overlooked when the rest of the package is complete, and they have the complete package!  Check out this psychedelic brewery, it's worth the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment